info@ wilsoncollege.edu           022-23663001

About

Home / About

Our History

The Wilson College was founded by the Indian missionary Rev. John Wilson, in 1832. Beginning as Ambroli English School in Girgaum, Mumbai, it later saw several changes of sites and names, eventually being called the Wilson School. The collegiate section, from which Wilson College evolved, came about in 1836.

Founder of the college

John Wilson, D.D., F.R.S founder of the college
The Wilson College was founded by the Scottish missionary Rev. John Wilson, in 1832. Beginning as Ambroli English School in Girgaum, Mumbai, it later saw several changes of sites and names, eventually being called the Wilson School. The collegiate section, from which Wilson College evolved, came about in 1836. Soon after their arrival in Mumbai in February 1829, Wilson and his wife Margaret Wilson began studying the local language of Marathi. Margaret started a school for girls in 1829 at Ambroli House in Girgaum at Mumbai, with Marathi being the chief medium of instruction and learning. An English boarding school was opened in 1832, which later became the St. Columba School. The Ambroli English School is the direct forerunner of the present college. On 14 December 1861, the collegiate section of Wilson's institution under the name of Free General Assembly's Institution became the first privately owned, non-government institution to be affiliated to the university. In 1952, the management of the college came under an autonomous Board of Governors in India. Since 1963, the college functions under the management of John Wilson Education Society. Wilson College is a Christian minority institution and is closely related to CNI. It aims at education of the Christian community and extends its facilities and services to other communities too. The students of Wilson College are from nearly every ethnic, religious and social group, of the country as well as of the world. The motto of the college is "Fides, Spes, Caritas" (Vishwas, Asha, Prem) — Faith (in God), Hope (that the college can achieve the highest level of moral, spiritual and intellectual excellence, and love that steers one through life). After the death of Dr. Wilson in 1875, Rev Dr Dugald Mackichan served as a successor, having already served the college for six months at the time of Wilson's death. Nine years later, Mackichan became principal and held the position until 1920, becoming one of the most distinguished principals of the college. Mackichan, who taught physics and was instrumental for setting up the college's physics laboratory, was a distinguished physicist in his own right and had formerly worked with British scientist Lord Kelvin. The Postal Department, Government of India honoured its founder and the institution by issuing a Special Day Postal Cover in 2004. In 2007 to commemorate the completion of its 175 years, a stamp and first day cover of Wilson College was issued.

John Wilson Education Society's Wilson College has a long standing history. Founded by Dr. John Wilson, the founder of Bombay University, in the year 1832. Wilson College has a NAAC "A" Accreditation since 2005.

Contact Us

WILSON COLLEGE, CHOWPATTY SEAFACE ROAD, MUMBAI-400 007

info@ wilsoncollege.edu
022-23663001